PS3 Jailbreak 4.81 OFW 4.81 to CFW was last reported as working on 08/19/2017 :)
Jailbreaking a PS3 games console can open up your gaming world to a vast range of new opportunities and benefits. You’ll be able to enjoy full opportunities such as full administration controls, the ability to playback previously unsupported video files and the chance to play saved games and third-party software that will award you with a truly unique and personalised PlayStation experience, maximising the functionality and usage of your device. You can even save discs to your device to play directly from your hard drive!
If you’re interested in jailbreaking your PS3 console, below you’ll find a step by step guide, detailing everything you need to know about every stage of the process. As with any jailbreaking process, there are always risks that may render your device unusable unless you take the proper precautions. Always back up your device and saved games before proceeding and get ready for a new world of possibilities!
Disclaimer: Jailbroken.co or any of the associated members of this website take no responsibility for any damage of problems or issues with your that exist as a result of attempting to jailbreak your device using the following method. You do so at your own risk. This process has been tried and tested and has been deemed reliable by thousands of users across the internet but, as an unsupported process with no official support, the chance for success is not 100%. If you decide to run pirated content on your jailbroken PlayStation, Jailbroken.co and any affiliated members of the websites are not responsible for your choices and you do so at your own risk. Video game piracy is a crime and illegal in most countries around the world. This article is to be used only for informational purposes. Jailbroken.co and affiliated members take no responsibility for any damaged or faults caused to your device.
Step One – Preparing Your Device
Before you start jailbreaking your PlayStation device, ensure you backup all of your content including your saved games, music, videos, pictures and any profiles or account setting you wish to keep. Only proceed once you have finished this initial step.
- Firstly, power on your PlayStation 3 and navigate to the settings menu. Once selected, click System Settings and then System Information.
- On this screen, you’ll find your current firmware number. For the jailbreak process, you’ll need to be running firmware 4.81. If your device is outdated, update your system using the software update feature on your PlayStation. If your device is running firmware 4.81, skip to Step Two.
My PlayStation Isn’t Connected to the Internet?!
If you do not have an internet connection on your PS3 but need to update to 4.81, you can follow the steps below.
- Insert a blank USB flash drive into your computer. Once the USB drive has loaded, create a new folder titled ‘PS3’. Inside this folder, create another new folder titled ‘UPDATE’.
- Click here to download the firmware 4.81 update. Save this file into your UPDATE Once the firmware has updated, rename the file ‘PS3UPDAT.PUP’. Please note, this file must be written in full uppercase letters.
- Safely eject your USB flash drive and insert it into your PS3. Turn on your device and navigate to the Settings Select the System Update option. This will present you with a choice of updating via the internet or through Storage Media. Select the latter to begin your install process.
- If successful, your device will display an ‘Update Successful’ message. As above, the current firmware should display the 4.81 number. This means your device is ready for jailbreaking.
Step Two – Jailbreaking Your PlayStation 3
Now it’s time to jailbreak your device. This is achieved using the PS3 Jailbreak CFW application, one of the most tried and tested methods available online. Head over to this website to begin the process. The following steps are completed on your computer.
- Click the ‘Download’ button below. This will take you to Mega Upload where you can download your jailbreak update. Download using your preferred method.
- Insert a blank USB flash drive into your computer, a drive with a minimum of 256MB of free space. In your flash drive, create a new folder titled ‘PS3’. Within this folder, create another new folder titled ‘UPDATE’. Please note that all the folder titles must be written in uppercase letters.
- Now extract your previously downloaded ZIP file into the UPDATE This extracted file must be titled PS3UPDAT.PUP.
- Safely eject your USB drive from your computer and insert it into your PS3. Turn your PS3 on and navigate to the Settings
- In the settings menu, select System Update and choose the Update via Storage Media A message will pop up saying an update has been found. Press O.K. to continue.
- Now your device will begin to jailbreak. Your device may restart and beep several times during this process. This is to be expected, just sit back and let it process. Once everything is complete, your device should off. Ensure you do not have any controllers connected at this point as the jailbreak process is not yet finished completely. Without connected controllers, turn on your PS3.
- After turning on, wait for your PlayStation to turn on and display the main menu. Congratulations, your device is now jailbroken. You are now free to connect your controllers, play games and use your new jailbroken PS3 console how you please!
If you are having problems with your PlayStation 3 during or after you have completed the jailbreaking process, you can use the list below to match with your problem to find the solution. As with any jailbreaking process, some problems may be severe, some may not, it all depends on the condition and model of your PlayStation. Alternatively, you can search your exact problem online and ask the jailbreaking community.
My Screen Says No Applicable Update Data
This is the most common error experienced whilst jailbreak a PlayStation 3. This may occur when updating your firmware or installing the jailbreak hack. There are a couple of things you can try to resolve this issue.
- Ensure that every folder used on your USB flash drive has the correct name. Note, the title should read PUP, not UPDATE. All titles must be written in uppercase letters.
- Your USB flash drive must be formatted in an FAT32 Your drive must also have default allocation unit selected. PlayStation devices do not support the NTFS disk format.
My PlayStation 3 Super Slim 4.81 isn’t Jailbreaking
Unfortunately, it is impossible to jailbreak this model using the method above. Alternatively, you can search online for a solution. According to the PS3jailbreakcfw site, the team was working on an update to include Super Slim consoles, which may or may not have been released after the time of writing.
My PlayStation 3 Won’t Connect to the Internet After Jailbreaking
After jailbreaking your device, you won’t be able to connect to the PSN servers. There are some hacks available but connecting using a jailbroken PS3 is illegal and against Sony’s rules. If you do use a hack, you will risk your PSN account being permanently banned.
How Much Memory Do I Need to Jailbreak?
You can jailbreak any sized PlayStation device from 6GB to 128GB. However, it’s worth noting that it’s highly recommended that you only break device with over 64GB of memory, otherwise it’s simply not worth it.
How Can I Reverse the Jailbreak Process on my Device?
You can reformat your PS3 to lose the jailbreak format. Alternatively, if you have third party software installed on your PlayStation, you can follow the instructions in Step One to return your device to its default settings.
Are They Any Risks to Jailbreaking Your PlayStation?
The biggest risk you face is connecting to the PSN with your jailbroken device. If caught by the Sony Protection system, your account can be permanently banned and unredeemable. The only way to get back online is to purchase a new PS3 and create a new account. There are also third-party ‘maskers’ available that aim to stop your device becoming detected.
There are many perks and benefits to jailbreaking your PlayStation device. As you can, the jailbreak process itself is relatively safe and risk-free. The risks come with what you decide to do with your device. By jailbreaking your device using this very easy method, you’ll have access to full administrative control of your device and the opportunity to install a tonne of third-party software packages that will award you with a fully personalised PlayStation experience.
Always remember that the process of jailbreaking your PS3 is illegal and this page should only be used for informational purposes only. Downloading or torrenting video games is also illegal and you do so at your own risk.
You may also like to checkout our guide to downloading games for your jailbroken ps3