How to Jailbreak an iPhone/iPad
How to Jailbreak an iPhone/iPad
Are you and sick and tired of being restricted by the boundaries set by Apple devices? Unknown to some, all Apple devices from iPhones and iPods to iPads can be subject to a process known as jailbreaking.
Whether you’re jailbreaking your device with years of experience behind you that just needs touching up or you’re completely new to the jailbreaking concept, this step-by-step will show you everything you need to know to lift your restrictions and discover a world of freedom with your Apple devices.
To jailbreak your iPod, iPhone or iPad, running the iOS 9 operating systems or above, here’s our step-by-step guide giving you all the information you need to get you on your way. There are two methods listed below, renowned for being the two simplest and safest ways to jailbreak your devices.
Disclaimer: If you proceed to jailbreak your device, Jailbroken.co or anybody involved with this website takes no responsibility for any damage done to your device and you agree to jailbreak at your own risk. Although these methods have been tried, tested and proven to work, any errors made during the process can render your device unusable. It’s highly recommended you back-up your device before proceeding and take the utmost care in everything you do.
Step One – Setting Up Your Software
Our most highly recommended software application to use to jailbreak your device is Pangu. This is one of the most advanced jailbreaking kits to have been written and developed and will make your life a lot easier. It’s also completely free to download and use.
- First, head over to the Pangu website. You’ll notice there are many various Apple operating systems to choose from. Using the navigation menu at the top of the page, choose your devices operating system.
Not sure what operating system your device is running? No problem! From your home screen, navigate your way to the Settings page. From here, scroll down and click the General option and tap About. You’ll notice vast amounts of information on your device. As you look down the list, you’ll notice an option titled Version. If the number reads 6.0, your device is running iOS 6. Use this number to select the operating system on Pangu.
Step Two – Setting Up Your Device
There are several things you must do before connecting your device to your computer in order for the jailbreak to be successful.
- Firstly, head into your Settings and navigate through iCloud > Find My iPhone. Turn this setting off.
- Secondly, head back through your Settings and tap Touch ID & Passcode. Turn off these settings. This will enable the software to open your device without having to input a security code.
- Head back to your home screen and activate Flight Mode.
Step Three – Jailbreaking Your Device
As you have now set up your device and your computer, it’s time to start the jailbreaking process!
- Take your PC connection cable and connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer and launch the Pangu software you downloaded in the first step.
- When the program opens, click the start button to begin jailbreaking.
- To make sure you have backed up your device, another window will open asking you if you have. If you have, click ‘Already Backup’. If you haven’t backed up your device, it’s highly recommended that you close the Pangu software and do so.
- After clearing this screen, the jailbreak software will begin. Your device may flicker on and off at various stages and can restart several times. Don’t panic, just let the software do its thing. Always ensure that your device remains connected throughout this entire process otherwise you could risk seriously damaging your device.
- You will also notice that two new apps have appeared on your home screen titled WWDC and After these have appeared, your device will restart automatically. When your screen tells you to, reactivate Flight Mode on your device.
- Once Flight Mode has been re-enabled, the jailbreak process will continue automatically.
- After an extended period of time (usually between 2-5 minutes) the software will ask you to activate the Pangu app from the home screen of your device. Do so and make sure you give the app permission to access your photos when requested.
- After a couple more minutes, you will be awarded the ‘Jailbreak Completed’ message on the software on your computer. You can now safely close the application. Your device will automatically restart again and you will find the Cydia application, enabling you to access new apps, themes and other jailbreak applications.
SECOND METHOD – Direct Jailbreaking
The second method enables you to directly jailbreak your phone straight from your device, without having to connect it to a computer. Although this is a much easier method, some users have reported problems with it not working or not fully completing the jailbreak process.
Jailbreaking Direct from Your Device
- Firstly, from your home screen, open your Safari Browser
- In the website address bar, enter org
- After the page has completely loaded onto your device, click the UP arrow located in the middle of the bar at the bottom of your screen
- From the list of options, choose Add to Home Screen
- Rename the shortcut Pangu and continue by clicking on Add in the top right-hand corner
- Now, proceed to exit your Safari Browser and return to your home screen. Scroll through your applications to find the recently added Pangu Tap on the icon to launch it
Listed below are some of the most common problems experienced when using Pangu to jailbreak Apple devices. As an officially unsupported process, there are many problems that can be experienced, some severe and some that aren’t. If you are experiencing problems with your Jailbroken device, use the list below or search online detailing your exact problem.
My Device Has Rebooted but There’s No Cydia App?
There are been endless reports of this bug from the jailbreak process, across all types of devices and operating systems. Although updates are released periodically, fixing this bug within the Pangu application, older models, such as the 4, 5 and 6 may still experience issues. Newer models have mostly been patched.
If you are experiencing problems with your older devices, restore your Apple device to its original setting and try an alternative jailbreak method.
Pangu is Failing to Install on My Device
After Apple had released device updates and a handful of fixes to their services, this caused a couple of issues for the Pangu community. These fixes had effectively stopped the Jailbreak app from installing onto devices. The best possible workaround, if this is a problem on your device, is to use the second method of installing Pangu listed above. Make sure your Apple device has the latest updates and that you’re using the correct operating system.
Pangu Won’t Open on My Computer
Always ensure you are using the correct Pangu application for your computer. This means the Windows version (32x or 64x) or the correct Mac version. If the problem persists, restart your computer and try opening the application again. 99% of the time, a restart has proven to resolve this issue.
My Device Is Failing to Install Cydia
There are several reasons to what could be causing this issue. The first thing to check is that you’re running the correct Windows or Mac Pangu program. This refers to the Mac operating system or the Windows 32x or 64x.
If this fails, make sure you have set your device properly before starting the jailbreak process. This means you have to restore your device to its original settings and then following through Step Two to ensure that every initial preparation has been followed.
Another problem that can cause this issue is related to iTunes. The most recent version of the program should be installed on your computer and your device must be installed and trusted by the iTunes program. To ensure this isn’t the problem, connect your device to iTunes and make sure you can access it.
One final issue that could be causing this problem is fiddling with the device while the jailbreak process is underway. Make sure all applications on your device are closed before the jailbreak process starts. Once it has started, always make sure you don’t touch your device, not even the cable it’s connected to. This minimises the risk of interference which can sometimes cause the process and installation to fail.
Jailbreaking your Apple device can open you up to a whole new world of possibilities. Giving yourself complete control over the customisation of your device alongside millions of applications and tweaks allows you to have a completely personalised Apple experience, allowing you to maximise the opportunities of your device.
For more information on jailbreaking your Apple devices or to see what you can do, check out the other pages of our website, allowing you to explore and discover what a jailbroken device can really achieve!